Sunday, February 8, 2009

I've survived the first semester

So, back in August my oldest went off to school. Now she's traveled before, but not for so long. She left early to play tennis for the tiny college of Steven's in Hoboken, NJ. The weeks prior to her departure, I could barely sit still as the days flew past and my emotions soared. I feel, I mean really feel my heart breaking! My little girl was going away to become more intelligent, more schooled in life and to take a big bite of life away from the protective world we've created for her in Doylestown. When the day actually came, I put myself on auto-pilot and went through the motions of getting her stuff (reminds me of the old George Carlin routine) into the back of the truck and the small trailer from Mike's work.

The day and trip went smoothly, but was actually more organized than I planned on. Once on campus the teams of upper classmen swarmed the car and whisked her stuff to the third floor of her dorm. Not before Mike could embarrass Mo one more time by telling the guys that the truck had her clothes and the trailer had her make-up! Mo was sent off to a meeting for incoming Freshmen, leaving us to organize her stuff. Why does she need the 16 pairs of shoes she's packed, Her stuff quickly was whittled down to one third of what we brought. Mo has always had her own room, so this would be interesting.

The day passed and soon we were on our way home. I could feel Mike's gaze pierce me time and time again...waiting for my tears. Sure as the sun shines in southern California, we got over the first little bridge tot he NJTP and they came!!! My god they wouldn't stop. Not a sobbing kind of tears, but the non-stop ever flowing two at a time kind of tears. Not tears of sadness, well maybe for me, but ones of relief that the day had finally come and I had lived through it.

The tears came everyday for the next two weeks. I was a basket case. Heaven help anyone who began conversations with..."so how did you make out taking Morgan to school?" I was truly happy with the school. Well protected and lovely. She was amongst some of the most intelligent students around. She has chosen Biomedical engineering with Nano technologies...crap, couldn't she just teach?! (not dissing the teachers out there...we both taught).

Anyway, the first semester's done and we're all fine. Now is NOT like when we went to school. Remember writing real letters?; the once a week 5 minute phone calls? Long distance was expensive! Plus, there were four of us in school at the same time! Now we have Skpye and cell phones and email and IM technology. Man what an easy world for the youth of today!

I'm glad she loves the school so much...so do I!

1 comment:

Bob Thomas said...

Staying connected is so easy these days!

You have it soooo right!

When I went to college in 1971 - at the University of Rhode Island - same place as other Wenonah kids - Terry Fleming, Charley Lake, Bob Thomas, Harry Shoemaker and Barbie Moffett - staying in touch was the letter or the phone...

but not the cell phone

no one (almost) no one had a phone in their dorm room.

There was a phone on your floor if you were lucky

else

there was a phone somewhere in the dorm

your parents would call

someone MIGHT answer

they may or may not come tell you that there was a call

they might just leave the phone hanging after answering and walk away....

this was a whole "paradigm" shift from the current situation

you couldn't even own a phone - you had to rent one from the phone company and pay them something each month...

at college one of my friends somehow acquired a phone

and he thought that he was
"home free"

he would hook it up to the wires in his dorm room and he would have FREE phone service...

I had only one question...

"Steve," I said, "how will you know what your phone number is?"

Time stopped.

He had no answer.

The jig was up.

Without a number he couldn't call or be called.

Such was life in the early 70s.

Thanks for reminding me about it!

Please write more... very good stuff!

I know that you have looked at one of my blogs

http://rememberingdebbie.blogspot.com

about 102 N. Monroe Ave, Wenonah, NJ 08090