Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Beach

Well, here we go again. Another family reunion at the beach....down the shore, ala Stone Harbor. The memories flood back each time we return to the promised land. Now with psuedo adults in tow. We used to stay in a home owned by the Groves family, on the bay side; right near Bud's Market. It was proximal to Avalon...cooler by a mile...and only a few minutes walk to Springer's. The location was fabulous. Hell, anything at the beach was terrific! It wasn't Wenonah!
We would wait all year for the trip to the beach. Mom was kind enough to escape town throughout the summer on Sundays. Up by 6 or 7 and making tuna fish sandwiches on frozen white bread. This evidently, would allow the sandwiches safe travel for the time it took to get all the way to the beach then, make it through the heat until we ate lunch at 11 or noon. She made good sandwiches. Finely diced onion and celery with TONS of pepper. That coupled with cold Pepsi and Herr's potato chips...a slcie of heaven!
We would arrive by 9 or 10 and if you didn't have your ass and your stuff (there's a George Carlin schtick) in the car when Mom was ready to roll, you didn't go. Or so she threatened! Chairs, towels, cooler, sunblock...yeah, right...baby oil and iodine! Each of us was permitted to bring a friend and off we'd go.
Route 55 was not even a twinkle in planners' eyes when we drove to the shore. One back road after another! Through tiny towns with magrant workers up to harvest the fields of south Jersey. Through Vineland and the pine barrens and to the land where trees are shorter and the air, dispite low tide, always was sweeter than the still humid air of Wenonah in the heat of July and August!
We'd arrive and the beach was slightly overcast but it would ALWAYS clear! Mom said so. Once over the bridge separating Stone Harbor from the rest of the world, the weather would always be better. I loved her thinking! My friends, Meg Schweigart, Sandy Dipper or Kathy Murphy were always good company. They were up for walking the beach or going for ice cream or looking at guys. Those really were some more innocent times.

4 comments:

Bob Thomas said...

Hi Karen,

Great piece about escaping Wenonah on a hot or humid July or August day. I hope that you write some more. Some mornings in Wenonah during the "dog days of summer" the dawn seemed just as hot as sunset. The buzz of the locusts up in the trees and time dripping slow as molasses. I would do my morning paper route and get cobwebs on my head as I passed through the hedges. Your family was on the route when you lived on S. Monroe and then for a while on N. Lincoln (if I have it correct).

The air at the beach and the cooler water of the beach was soooo refreshing. The guys wheeling and the waves breaking.

Don't know if you remember me, Bob Thomas? I lived up on North Monroe Ave with my older sister, Debbie - class of 1969 - me, class of '71, Roger class of '75 and Dee, class of '78. Debbie lost a tough battle with kidney cancer last July 31st - you can see photos of her and all of us at

http://rememberingdebbie.blogspot.com

Thanks for the great writing - please add more!

Sincerely,

Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas said...

Karen,

Just thought that you might be wondering how I came to find your blog. I was reading Jack Wiler's blog and the comments and saw your comments. Looking at your profile I found your blog.

Bob

Bob Thomas said...

Hi Karen,

Deb's illness and death were terrible. It was especially tough for her only child who lived with her during the entire ordeal.

I live in Morris, NY - which is near Cooperstown, NY of the National Baseball Hall of Fame fame.

Bicycling is my healthy escape. I ride the 15 miles home from work in good weather.

My niece Becki graduated from Delaware Valley College in Doylestown some years ago. I took her back to college a few times on my way home from New Jersey to upstate New York.

That's great that Zac is into biking - it is a great life long thing to get into. Perhaps we can get off I-476 in Doylestown someday and visit Zac's bike shop.

In 2004 I visited the Tour de France and put some info on the WWW at

http://tdf2004.home.mindspring.com/

thanks for writing!

Bob

Bob Thomas said...

Karen,

Googling Wenonah I found the following link tonight

http://107northlincolnave.canbyours.com/

Didn't you live there for a while?

I just reread my post... I meant to write
gulls wheeling
not
guys wheeling...

so much for my proofreading.

amazing what google can find..